This past week was a very intense one for studies. One more week to go for this semester! It will be an intense one but the finish line is in sight and I think I can make my deadlines before I have to leave Ottawa next Sunday. Providentially I will have the great joy, thanks to Fr. Deprey's generosity, of being the celebrant for this Thursday evening's Corpus Christi Solemn High Mass and procession, and then of assisting in some way (as sub-deacon or deacon), at this Sunday's 10:30 Solemn High Mass for the first Holy Communion of 18 children. Seems like a particular blessing that the first solemn high Mass I offered here was on Holy Thursday and the last solemn high Mass will be Corpus Christi. I have to head to the Confessional in just a minute and then celebrate the evening Mass so I'll need to make this post quick....
| After Mass with the local mafia.... actually with some of the young men who serve or help chant, including Justin in the wheelchair who keeps the choir in line with his signing in the congregation! |
![]() |
| With Deacon Jim Scheer inside Canada's Parliament |
Deacon Scheer invited me for lunch in the dining room for the members of the House and Senate. It was quite interesting to learn the ins and outs of Canadian government, mostly rather sad ins and outs of late in terms of legislation. In fact while we were there they were taking the final steps in passing their "Assisted-Dying" bill which will be truly horrible. Please pray for the poor Catholic doctors and nurses who will be in a particularly awful situation. After speaking briefly to some members of parliament in the course of our meal, and then receiving a tour of the building, it brought home how much depends on each individual conscience. I usually tend to think of these awful laws being passed in our countries as taking place "far away." But after shaking the hands of those involved in making these decisions, and in some cases getting a glimpse into their personal lives, it brought home in a whole new way the need to pray for those in government. Some of them have been heroic in fighting for the pro-life cause and continue to do so. Others are perhaps wavering. Others are in need of conversion. And all are very "real" people with families, personal lives, and souls to be saved.
I have to head now to the Confessional.... I'll finish by saying that with the beautiful spring weather we've been having here and all the flowers in bloom it smells wonderful! It's been a while since I've lived in a moist part of the world where there are flowers and plants in bloom in such abundance. Some days ago I walked outside and thought: "someone must have sprayed perfume out here." But then the same thing happened the next day and the next... and I realized it was just God's gift to us through the wonderful smells of the plants He created.
Blessings on this Trinity Sunday! I will be holding all of you in my heart in a particular way this Corpus Christi Thursday and then Sunday during the first Holy Communions, thinking especially of all the children I have had the blessing of giving first Holy Communion to. May Jesus and Mary watch over them all and protect them. I will be praying that the Lord guide them and strengthen them.
In Cordibus Iesu et Mariae,
Fr. Anthony Pillari

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.