Sunday, June 5, 2016

To those in Texas

Playing with my Nieces and Nephews while Visiting Home
Dear Friends and Family,

This past week was a very beautiful one and included my little sister's wedding, which was wonderful in a way that I find hard to put into words for a blog. So I think it's best not to try at this point. I will simply say that it was such a blessing to see her, and a wonderful Catholic man named Patrick, pronounce their marriage vows. I hesitate to write more because I don't think I would have words that would be adequate... and also because I saw most of you who are local in the course of this past week. Hence, I would like to write now to all those in Texas.

Here again it is hard for me to find adequate words, but I feel I should at least try since this is my main means of communication with you all, besides the exchange of letters. I arrived home a week ago to find the beautiful hand-written book that you all created and sent to me. May God reward you! It arrived at just the right time. In 36 hours I will be on a plane for Europe and likely will not be back in the U.S. until next May. You all have been very much on my mind and in my prayers. It is a hard sacrifice to not be able to see you in person, or to pray with you, or to offer the Sacraments to you, or to counsel you, or to laugh and play with your children, or simply to see your smiling faces... I really miss you all.

Upon finding your book I sat down on the floor of my bedroom and slowly paged through the beautiful notes. Your words were very kind. It gives me great hope when I realize what God can do through even a very imperfect priest. But it especially helped to make each of you present, along with so many fond memories. In many ways you all taught me what it is to be a priest, for I learned how to be a priest in the course of the past 8 years in your midst. No doubt I still have very much to learn. But no matter what my future may hold, you all will always be the first Confessions I heard, the first altar boys I formed, the first babies I baptized, the first little girls I tried to help grow spiritually, the first families I tried to lead closer to Jesus, the first for so many, many things...

In addition to receiving your book I was blessed this past week to see one of your families up here in Ohio! It was so good to see again some of the children! They told me how many of you are praying for me daily, and a good number of you have told me the same through your letters. There is no better gift that I could ask for. As I set off for Europe I have a deep peace that this apostolate and study abroad are what the Lord is asking of me for this coming year, and perhaps beyond this coming year though time will tell. But I can also feel in my stomach the nervousness of stepping off into the unknown--in a sense of journeying as a pilgrim whose job it is to try to follow his Lord, but who doesn't really know just what lies around the next bend. It is an immense comfort to know that you all are praying for me. I wish I could convey to you how much that means to me and more importantly how much that helps me.

How many times during the day--for example when I am counseling someone in the Confessional, is it in fact thanks to your all's prayers that provides the light and grace, or strength, courage and peace that I need to be faithful to what Jesus is asking of me? Only in Heaven will I really know, but I suspect it is quite often.

Well, given some unexpected changes for these next 36 hours (a priest is flying in from Italy to give me a workshop tomorrow (on his way to other locations in the U.S.) that will be intense and that was unforeseen), I have to find a way to pack and take care of loose ends rather quickly so I had best end this post. Please receive my heartfelt gratitude for all that you are giving me, your kind words in the book you sent being I know just a sign of much more, and please be assured of may daily prayers for you all.

Well then, all systems are go for takeoff.... Duc in altum!

In Cordibus Iesu et Mariae,
Fr. Anthony Pillari

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.