Sunday, March 12, 2017

Visiting the Sick

A street in Plymouth near the church I say Mass in each Sunday.

Photo taken from a street just above the village where the Carmel is located.
Dear Friends and Family,

A very blessed Second Sunday of Lent to you all! This past week here had many blessings--one of which was making it through my all-day exam on Friday. Thank you very much for your prayers. It was probably the most difficult exam I have ever taken in my life. I won't receive my grades for several weeks. However I think I passed it. And whether I did or not it is a blessing to have made it through! Thank you very much for your prayers.

Among the blessings and joys of this Sunday was the chance to bring the Sacraments to someone who has been very sick--in this case a mother with a little baby. Out of discretion I will not mention details about the individual but will say that it is a great privilege to bring Holy Communion and to administer Confession to someone. I was really struck today by the great privilege of carrying the Body of Christ on me as I walked into the home and was received by the family, then of placing the Sacred Host on a little altar prepared, taking some moments to adore Him, then offering the Sacrament of Confession, being able to absolve all of the person's sins. What an immense blessing and joy.... sitting there and talking with them, listening to them, offering them the Body of Christ, and first absolution, I felt so "little"--as if I was there in the middle of a great interaction between God and this person's soul, but feeling in a sense surprised to find myself there. It's hard to put into words but it's a rather amazing thing to see at times God work in someone's soul through your presence as a priest and to realize that you have very little at all to do with it, and yet that He is using your hands, your words, etc. A truly wonderful blessing....

I had that blessing on Ash Wednesday, when a little boy had just returned from the hospital and I was able to offer him and his family ashes. Then he and his siblings sat on the couch and brought to me a little book of saints, one of which I read to them, and then was on my way to Plymouth for that evening's Mass. A wonderful blessing.

And though I've often mentioned this in past posts, I was struck again today by the beautiful privilege of offering the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass--not once, but twice on a Sunday. Kneeling down as a priest to adore Him right after the consecration, then raising Him up for all to adore, then kneeling again, then receiving Him myself and taking some moments to pray in silence, then offering Him to all those who come forward to kneel and receive Him. Wonderful blessings...

Well, even with all these blessings, my body is telling me that it's rather worn out after a week of intense study and a bit less sleep than usual, so I'd best turn in for the night (and will likely set my alarm a bit later than usual tomorrow).

Thank you again for all your prayers. You are in mine here. May Jesus and Mary watch over you and bless you as we enter into this second full week of Lent.

In Cordibus Iesu et Mariae,
Fr. Tony Pillari

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.