Saturday, August 26, 2017

Long-Term Projects here in the Diocese

View of neighboring bell-tower from this past Tuesday evening, as I sat on a bench in Lanherne's garden.

View of sky same evening.

View of our newly trimmed hedge, thanks to some generous volunteers!
Dear Friends and Family,

This past week had a number of blessings--among them Sacramental preparation: resuming the weekly Wednesday evening Catechism course to two 6 year-olds preparing for first Confession and First Holy Communion, and a Tuesday evening meeting with a young couple expecting the birth of their first child. The first two photos above were taken while sitting on a bench waiting for them. Very much looking forward to the Baptism of another little baby!

This week I wanted to complete the last light of the key-responsibility chart, for my work as a missionary here in England, that I started showing you a few weeks ago.


Lanherne Project: Vision Lead

This assignment is proof that God has a sense of humor. After more than 10 years of meetings involving planning or construction at the Mission, I had told God I would prefer to avoid that in the future. And then He sent me... to a monastery that is just beginning a major renovation project! Lanherne is a "grade 1 listed building" in England--in other words, it has the highest possible designation by the English government as a building needing to be preserved. This sounds nice, except that it means that you have to be extremely careful, and get approval from committees, for any work you do. Thankfully, we have a great project director with expertise in historic buildings, as well as an excellent board that is overseeing the project.

Lanherne is considered a historical treasure because 1) it was the Arundell family home, a very important Catholic family who remained Catholic, and suffered greatly for it, all during the post-Reformation persecution. It is said the the tabernacle lamp (in the family chapel) has always been kept burning since before the Reformation, 2) Saint Cuthbert Mayne celebrated Mass here shortly before being martyred, and 3) It has been a cloister monastery the past 223 years.

Concretely, I have been charged with working with the board, the project director, architects, etc., as well as meet with potential donors, to try to implement what will likely be a $3.5 million project. I'm scheduled to give a presentation to the diocesan trustees in October.

Canonical Work for Diocese

I've been asked to assist with some multi-year projects. As with much legal work, this is not really for public consumption, so I'll leave it at that.

Studies: J.C.D./PhD and J.D.

Last year was the "year of exams"--both in canon law and civil law. Thanks in part to your prayers, I passed those! From here on out the work will be steady, but should be significantly less pressure. In canon law my dissertation will focus on an aspect of the papal magisterium. My goal, by the end of this semester, is to have the initial research complete and to present a 50 page summary of the proposed dissertation to the faculty, who then meet with me to review and critique the project. Once I pass that step, then it is just reading and writing for the next 2 years or so. I am looking forward to it. It will be a chance to dig into a particular area that is interesting to me, and has real-life practical applications what the Church is living today. For example, one aspect of my research this Fall will be to read all of the key writings of St. Robert Bellarmine on the topic of the papal office and magisterium, and to write a summary of his thought.

For the J.D. this year will be civil procedure, criminal procedure, and constitutional law (along with some other course I can't remember). All three should be interesting. My impression is that they really tried to weed us out in the first year. From here on out it will now doubt still have its challenges, but I should be able to settle into a regular rhythm of study. The topics should genuinely be interesting, particularly given the discussions in the U.S. now involving religious liberty, which touch directly on constitutional law, criminal procedure, and civil procedure.

Well, with that and the previous posts, you hopefully have an idea of the main 9 projects I've been charged with for this coming year and beyond. There are other aspects as well, such as assisting a pro-life group with their annual retreat, etc. But these 9 are the main areas that it seems God has asked me to focus on for life here as a missionary. So, I'll sign off now and try to make some progress on the bibliography for my dissertation, before heading out for a jog and then making a Holy Hour.

God has been very good to me.

May Jesus and Mary watch over you and guide you.

In Cordibus Iesu et Mariae,
Fr. Pillari

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.