Sunday, December 17, 2017

Photos of Bishop

Processing out after Mass with Bishop O'Toole.

Dear Friends and Family,

A blessed Gaudete Sunday! Please find below some photos of the Mass with the Bishop and accompanying celebration. Feel free to skip the photos (these are the types of things that mothers love to see, so for the sake of my mother, I'm posting them here, but many of you may wish to skip over them....).

At the celebration after Mass.

Bishop kneeling during the Holy Mass.

Anniversary cake they very kindly made for the occasion. Off to the left, you see a glimpse of a second cake, shaped like an altar with steps leading up to it.



Bishop Preaching (note: the old altar is in this side aisle, so that's where we have Mass each Sunday).

Incensing the altar.
With Joseph, after Mass.

Bishop O'Toole talking before blessing the food. In the center is Father Hasey, our pastor, who has been a priest for over 60 years!

Decorations, and Fr. Helier (to left), who came to wish me well in spite of his very busy Sunday.

Add caption

One of many babies--baby Jacinta, whom I baptized a few months ago, and her mother Claire.
Some photos of Lanherne after yesterday's quiet Mass:
Door into the chapel.

Part of the main altar.

Time of thanksgiving after Mass (Blessed Sacrament is in tabernacle off to the right (not visible), so that the sisters can look directly at this tabernacle while they pray).
This past week was full of blessings. Today had, of course, the wonderful blessings of Masses and Confessions. In addition, I joined a young couple and their baby boy in their home for lunch. It was very good to have this time with them. Then, upon arrival back in the village at 5:30, I went down to the village's annual outdoor "Christmas carol gathering." The predominant activity seemed to be everyone milling about and visiting with each other. 

In the background, a youth band was playing some carols, while someone spoke occasionally on a microphone (with no one seeming to pay much attention to them), and occasionally people sang, while others (the local "St. Mawgan's Eccentric Gentleman's Association), served hot dogs and drinks. But people seemed happy to be mingling with each other. It was a nice atmosphere. The first thing that actually happened to me when I arrived was that a man said, "You've just arrived! Have you had any whiskey yet? No? Then come with me, I'll get you some." I couldn't tell if he was just trying to play a joke on the priest arriving in a cassock, (or get him tipsy), or in earnest. But he seemed to be trying to be courteous and was so eager as he took off into the crowd calling me to follow him, that I felt I should at least oblige him by walking with him a bit. Sure enough, he came to a few of his friends, one with a bottle of whiskey and some shot glasses, and poured me one. "Here, this will do you good." They actually turned about to be a group of young guys who run a local restaurant and this was their way of being friendly to people at the evening event. I thanked and him, took a sip, and walked off to greet others (eventually pouring most of the whiskey out on the ground and returning the empty glass to the man). 

In the course of the evening, I was able to visit with a devout local Methodist and their wife, and should soon be coming by to come by their home for a meal, visited with a few other people, and got to know a few more of the Eccentric Gentlemen. By 6:30 I was back here, had some dinner, am now typing this, and will soon be praying vespers, compline, and heading to bed.

Another blessing of this past week was setting up a simple outdoor nativity and various strands of Christmas lights (all of which were obtained thanks to your generous donations--thank you!). But I will save those photos for another day.

May Jesus and Mary prepare your hearts this week--this last penitential week before Christmas--to receive all the joy that Jesus is preparing for you (the true joy that this world cannot give)., and above all to receive the Lord Himself at Christmas.

In Cordibus Iesu et Mariae,
Fr. Pillari


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.