Sunday, June 16, 2019

Father's Day


Dear Friends and Family,

Providentially, Father's Day falls on Trinity Sunday this year--so it is a wonderful day to give thanks to God the Father. As I was praying the Our Father this morning during matins, I was struck by how helpful it is to turn our soul often towards the Heavenly Father with this simple prayer. It occurs quite often during the Divine Office that each priest prays daily--for the traditional office it occurs during Matins (1 or 3 times depending on the day), then again at various points during the day, and of course at the Mass, during the rosary, etc. I must confess that I have not always prayed the Our Father at those moments with as much attention and devotion as I ought.

But this morning I was struck by how helpful it is to say those words with my heart turned toward the Father in thanksgiving and love; to be aware, in faith, of the loving presence of my heavenly Father. There is a manner of praying a vocal prayer where we try to focus above all on the meaning of the words. Then there is a manner of praying where we try to focus above all on the Person we are praying to. It seems to me that the Church gives us so often--or at least gives priests so often each day--the Our Father to pray in order to help our souls to remember the presence of our loving, heavenly Father.

I was also struck this morning by the joy of being a spiritual father--of beginning my day with the extended quiet time before the Blessed Sacrament, the Divine Office, Confessions, preaching, the Holy Mass, teaching children catechism, talking/advising people over breakfast, praying on the way into Plymouth, Confessions, the Holy Mass, and so on. What an amazing blessing I have been given in this life of a priest. I wouldn't trade being a priest for the world.

For those reading this who are part of my flock now, or have been part of it in the past, thank you for the joy of working with you as a spiritual father. I pray that Jesus and Mary will draw your souls ever closer to the heavenly Father, and that you might one day experience the abundance of joy and glory that can only be found in Heaven.

In Cordibus Iesu et Mariae,
Fr. Pillari

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.