Wednesday, November 4, 2020

A Quiet Rome

 

The Pantheon, usually crowded, deserted.


Still one of my favorite views. Looking out the window a few steps from my room.

Dear Friends and Family,

Greetings from a very quiet Rome! As I type this, it is 8PM Wednesday evening, and I am still very much praying for the final results of the US election. May God's will be done...

My apologies for not posting the past two Sundays. I had planned to but two things happened:

1) On Sunday Oct. 25th I was invited to spend the day with a Monsignor who works in the Vatican, and a fellow cleric studying, visiting a contemplative monastery of nuns. The Monsignor kindly picked us up at 8AM and began the two-hour drive to their monastery. It was a great two hours discussing with him--a knowledgable canon lawyer who has worked in the Vatican for almost 20 years. He offered to let me celebrate the Mass for the cloistered nuns while he himself celebrated a private Mass. It was a joy to offer the Holy Sacrifice for them in their ancient monastery.

After some prayer of thanksgiving, we were able to speak at some length with the mother superior--who was full of joy and vigor!--and then were offered lunch by the nuns (who of course did not eat with us). Thus followed still further conversation with the good Monsignor and fellow cleric. The mother superior then again granted us extended time for discussion with her, until a little after 4PM I think. And then I was blessed with another two hours of discussion with the Monsignor in the car on the way back! So a very full day, but one that left me rather drained and in need of prayer at the end.

2) Last Sunday I headed back to Florence for an appointment Monday morning as part of Italy's complicated visa process. It was a joy to see the children who helped host me last semester, and to pray once again in their chapel.

Today we learned that all classes are switching to online because of the new Italian government ordinance, at least for the next 4 weeks. So it is rather strange being in Rome but doing all classes online. 

For those of you in the US, I am very much praying for the country in this time of election. For those in the UK, I am praying for the terrible situation that public Masses will be banned for the next four weeks. May God grant speedily access once again to the most essential nourishment for body and soul: the Holy Eucharist.

You are in my daily prayers here.

In Cordibus Iesu et Mariae,

Fr. Pillari

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.