Sunday, October 16, 2016

Our Lady of the Smile

Our Lady of the Smile


Dear Friends and Family,

This beautiful statute of "Our Lady of the Smile" arrive at the convent this weekend from France. It is a replica of the miraculous statue that sat by St. Therese of Lisieux's bedside when she was very sick as a young girl. One day she saw Our Lady's face come alive and smile at her, and she was miraculously cured. The statue will now head into the nuns' cloister here, but first I had the opportunity to pray before it since I had to bless it prior to it entering the cloister.

Some of you have written me asking me if I could post more about the sisters and their life here. The sisters however would prefer to remain very hidden so I won't plan on writing much. Also, much of my contact with them is confidential since it is through Confession and spiritual direction. However, I think I can share two small things.

First, this past week was the entry of a young lady into the cloister, to begin her life as a postulant. For that I presided over the "entry ceremony" into the cloister, which was simple and yet beautiful. It took place in the evening. The doors to the cloister, which are never open (not even I can enter except in case of sacramental necessity for an ill sister), opened when the soon-to-be sister came knocking.

As the large door swung open 11 sisters were seen holding lighted candles, their faces covered by their veils. The young lady knelt on the ground just outside the threshold to the cloister. Standing behind her I then (at the mother superior's invitation) said some words on the great event that was about to take place: even more than what was about to take place physically there was a great spiritual work that was about to begin: the work of God in forming this young lady's soul to become His spouse (if indeed she discerns that and continues, etc.), of the presence of Our Lord and Our Lady, of how much our world today needs prayer and sacrifice, etc.

Then I began a series of prayers to Our Lady and a part of the litany to Her, the sisters responding. This concluded with a blessing of the young lady, sprinkling her with holy water, and then watching her rise and cross the threshold of the cloister. She then greeted one by one each of the sisters, the great door was closed, and her life in the cloister began.

This Thursday begins the annual 10 day silent retreat with the nuns. Please pray for that because the poor sisters are stuck with me preaching! I feel a bit worried for them because the preaching will be in Italian and 20 conferences is a lot to try to do well. The vast majority of those will involve me reading elected passages from St. John of the Cross or St. Teresa of Avila or St. Therese of Lisieux. But even reading long texts in Italian will be a bit challenging if I am to do them well. And then there are 3 conferences that will be primarily my words. I have the outlines done but now need to write them in English and then put them in Italian. Prayers would be welcome....

I'm due into the chapel now to hear the sisters Confessions so I'd best go. Praying for you all in this grace-filled month of October. Please don't forget to pray for me!

In Cordibus Iesu et Mariae,
Fr. Tony Pillari

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.