Dear Friends and Family,
First, I am finally healthy again! Thank you all very much for your prayers.
I celebrated Mass today in St. Edward the Confessor Church, some photos of which can be found here: http://taking-stock.org.uk/Home/Dioceses/Diocese-of-Plymouth/Plymouth-St-Edward-the-Confessor. (The picture at the top of the page will rotate between photos if you wait a few seconds). I had meant to take some photos myself, but the day got quite busy--as I'll explain below--so I'll have to settle for giving you the webpage photos!
The day began with quiet prayer at 5AM in the chapel here at Lanherne monastery, the Divine Office, then Confessions, followed by a 7:30AM Mass here at the monastery. Why so early? Because of a special request from Bishop O'Toole. Since he arrived in the diocese 2 1/2 years ago he has wanted to initiate a weekly Sunday Traditional Latin Mass (TLM) in the capital city of his diocese: Plymouth. Since the first time I met him he has been asking my help in starting that. Today that became a reality. And in order to accommodate an 11:30AM Mass in Plymouth, the Mass here had to be moved earlier.
Thankfully almost all of our little congregation got up early enough to arrive on time for a 7:30AM start here at the monastery! This was followed by a nice breakfast, which all the kids seemed to particularly enjoy.
Then, some of the altar boys and two generous parents bundled into a car and drove to Plymouth to assist with this first TLM at St. Edward's. It was a bit of an adventure to get everything put together, even with all that the parish sacristan and others had done to prepare vestments, altar cards, etc. We finally got everything together, processed out to the accompaniment of the organ, proceeded to go through the asperges, and then I looked up at the altar and... discovered that none of the altar candles were lit! So during the confiteor I called an altar boy over and whispered, "can you light the candles?" This led to a juggling act as the altar candles were lit while the altar was incensed, but we made it through and--albeit with a few bumps in the road--made it through the rest of the Mass.
It turned out quite nicely--with someone pitching in to play the organ, about 60 - 70 people attending (a good sized congregation here in England!), a bunch of them children, and the congregation joining in well in the chanting. I was especially happy to discover the church's acoustics which, as you might guess from the photos, are quite good. The chants reverberated throughout the church, and then all fell silent for the adoration of the Holy Eucharist, as we knelt in adoration of the renewal of the Sacrifice of Calvary, made present there on the altar. I so love offering the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass...
It was a particular joy for me, and was a historic moment for those attending, as some of them had been hoping and praying for this for years.
I then visited with the families at a reception in the parish hall, talked about the coming year, the availability of the all the other Sacraments in the Traditional form, etc. About 3PM, as the reception was winding down, a few members of the congregation requested Confession, I walked back to the church to hear their Confessions, and then finished with a prayer of thanksgiving for all the blessings of the day (but not before discovering that I had been locked out of the sacristy and having to find a way back in!).
I am a bit sleepy right now, as there were many preparations this past week in order to get ready for today's Mass, but will sleep well tonight, and with a grateful heart.
I would confide to your all's prayers this new initiative in Plymouth. May Jesus and Mary guide it according to their will.
In Cordibus Iesu et Mariae,
Fr. Tony Pillari
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.