Sunday, April 2, 2017

Passion Sunday

Our Lady just outside the monastery entrance.

Street near parish in Plymouth in today's beautiful sunshine.


Dear Friends and Family,

We're now just two weeks away from the greatest moment in the whole year: the reliving of our Lord's passion, death, and resurrection. Only two weeks until the celebration of His triumph over sin and death!

As I sit down to write this post I am exhausted but happy after a full day. It began as usual with quiet prayer in the early morning hours, then Confessions, Mass, etc. both here and in Plymouth. Then in the afternoon I had the joy of visiting with a young couple expecting their first baby, whom I'll have the joy of baptizing in a few months! One of several babies due to arrive this year either here at Lanherne or in Plymouth. And a few children are being prepared for first Holy Communion. This past week I had the blessing of hearing three first Confessions. Another two will be making their Confessions and First Holy Communion in the Fall.

Speaking of which, each Wednesday evening I teach those two, who are preparing for the Fall, their Catechism. It's the first time I've had the opportunity to teach children weekly in their preparation for first Confession and Holy Communion, and has been a joy and a good learning experience. They ask good questions!

The children are 5 and 6 years old. You never know what questions they will ask! The other day the 6 year-old girl, seemingly out of nowhere (as I was giving their lesson), asked: "What is the special role of girls and women?" An interesting question that gave a chance to try to speak a bit about the unique grace of women. Or this past Wednesday we were talking about Our Lady's motherhood, the fact that Jesus was God and so She is the Mother of God, and also the fact She was conceived without original sin. On the last point, after some discussion of original sin, I asked them, was there anyone who was ever conceived without original sin? 

Answer: "Jesus!"

"You're right, but there was one other person. Who was that?"

"God the Father!"

"That's true (now we had just been talking about the three persons in the Trinity so this was of course a correct answer), but there's one other."

"God the Holy Ghost!"

"OK that's true... so there are a few more than one other person. Who else?"

At last the response came "Mary."

I share that just to give you a small sampling on how questions that I think will lead naturally to one answer in fact lead to others, which keeps me on my toes :).

But at the moment I should not stay on my toes, or feet, much longer. The position of lying down for a good night's rest is probably a wise choice.

Before that though I'll go downstairs to get some dinner, but wanted to write you first.

I will be praying for you during these holy two weeks. May Jesus and Mary guide you and form you.

In Cordibus Iesu et Mariae,
Fr. Tony Pillari




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.