 |
| Today's Mass of Christ the King: Cope. |
 |
| Chasuble. |
 |
| Sacristy preparations for post-Mass Adoration and Benediction. |
Dear Friends and Family,
Viva Christo Re! Today is the Feast of Christ the King (in the traditional calendar), and I had the blessing of celebrating it twice--at Lanherne and at St. Edward's. For almost a century now Catholics throughout the world have been making (at Pope Pius XI's instigation), every year on this Feast, a solemn consecration to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Immediately following the Mass at Lanherne, I exposed the Blessed Sacrament, and led the congregation in this beautiful prayer. In it, we consecrate not only ourselves and the entire congregation, but also all baptized Christians, all those who do not believe in Christ, and the entire world--consecrating all of them to Our Lord's Sacred Heart. We then chanted a litany to the Sacred Heart, and concluded with benediction.
In Plymouth I led the consecration immediately after the Sermon, and then after Mass had the blessing of leading a "Churching of Women" ceremony, for a young mother who had just given birth a few weeks ago (and whose baby I baptized last week). The ceremony is a good occasion for the mother to give thanks to God for the birth of a child, and a chance to bless mother and child. It involves an opening portion at the entrance to the church. Mother and child are then led by the priest to the front of the church, while the priest chants the Magnificat. Mother kneels with baby before the Blessed Sacrament, and the priest blesses them both. It is a joyful rite to fulfill, and an occasion for all present to pray for young mothers and their babies.
A second great blessing of this past week was the unveiling of the Chapel of St. Thomas More, which I was finally allowed to enter. I had been thinking it would be beautiful, but it was more beautiful than expected! Truly an amazing gift, and one that I am much looking forward to making use of.
 |
| Entrance to the chapel... |
 |
| What is seen immediately upon entering... |
 |
| Newly made kneelers, with convenient places for books and just the right height, chairs, and a beautiful statues of the Sacred Heart. |
 |
| The heart of the Chapel... (Blessed Sacrament not yet present). Images of St. Thomas More and Blessed John-Henry Newman. |
 |
| Our Lady of Sorrows above an old mantle. |
 |
| The images on the back wall. This one is St. John Fisher. |
 |
| St. John the Baptist. |
 |
| St. Cuthbert Mayne. |
Truly a wonderful group of saints to be surrounded by while praying. So now you can see where I hope to be spending some of the most important hours of every day.
May Jesus and Mary watch over you and guide you.
In Cordibus Iesu et Mariae,
Fr. Pillari
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.