Sunday, October 22, 2017
"Fr. Pillari" or "Fr. Tony"?
Periodically I've been asked the question of how people should address me: "Fr. Pillari"? "Fr. Tony"? "Fr. Anthony"? So I thought I would go ahead an answer in this post, also for the benefit of those in Texas whom I'll be seeing soon.
Also, in case you are interested, an interview I gave was published here: https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/priest-who-signed-the-filial-correction-it-was-the-catholic-thing-to-do
Today was a wonderful Sunday. One highlight was the baptism of little Abigail Rose, in Plymouth. There is something particular wonderful about baptizing a little baby, about conveying divine grace, the very life of the Holy Trinity, to her soul. It is a privilege to pray for the parents, to explain to all who come--family members, friends, parishioners--what is about to take place in the traditional rite of Baptism, to help the other children present to pray for the newborn, and then, at the end of the ceremony, to take the baby in my arms, kneel before an image of Our Lady, and consecrate the child to the Immaculate Virgin. After doing so today, I intoned the Salve Regina and had the joy of hearing the church resound (the parish in Plymouth has good acoustics for chant), with this hymn to Our Lady. A wonderful joy...
So, should you call me "Fr. Pillari" or "Fr. Tony"? Traditionally priests belonging to religious orders were called by their first name, whereas diocesan priests were called by their last name. Why is that?
When a man entered religious life he normally received a new first name, to symbolize the fact that, in entering religious life, the man "put off the old man and put on the new" (Cf. Eph 4:22-24, and Col 3:10). From then on, the religious was called by this new name, in place of his old first and last name. Therefore, as a brother, and then as a priest, the religious was always addressed by his (new) first name.
For diocesan priests there was no name change upon entrance into a seminary or upon priestly ordination. Furthermore, diocesan priests hold a particular place in governing on behalf of Christ. Just as a father in a family has a particular role of authority, so also in the Church, in parish life, the diocesan priest has a particular role of authority. As a sign of respect for the grace of the priesthood, and the particular role the diocesan priest plays in the parish and in the Church in general--the role of sanctifying, governing, and preaching the saving Word of Christ--diocesan priests were addressed by their last name.
I find that this traditional practice is particularly helpful in fostering a sense of faith in the grace of Christ present in a diocesan priest. People often feel very close, very quickly, to their priest. There is always a danger that people will focus more on his human personality, gifts or lack thereof, etc. instead of focussing on the presence of Jesus Christ Himself, present in the unimpressive, often flawed, humanity of the priest. Addressing the priest by his last name is in a sense an act of faith, or at least facilitates an act of faith, in who the priest really is, an alter Christus, another Christ.
On a personal note, I will add that I've always felt more inclined to address diocesan priests by their last name, even after I was a priest myself. It just seems to me more natural and fitting.
So, following what is still today the custom for traditional-minded diocesan priests throughout the world, I would recommend the you address me as "Fr. Pillari" because I think this is the best practice, and the one that is the most helpful spiritually. Having said that, I will answer whether you call me "Fr. Pillari" "Fr. Tony" "Fr. Anthony" or "Fr. Moses." For those who knew me as a religious, and called me for years "Fr. Moses" I think it's normal for you to keep addressing me that way when you see me. We could consider it a special nickname. Yet, I think that in general "Fr. Pillari" is best. And for those in Texas, if you use "Fr. Pillari" you can feel that you are not having to change my name from what it was when you knew me before, you are rather simply using now my last name.
Well, on that note, it has been a long day--with a hospital visit included--so I will now turn to prayers and wrapping up for the evening.
May Jesus and Mary watch over you and guide you.
In Cordibus Iesu et Mariae,
Fr. Pillari
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.