Sunday, September 30, 2018

Warm Reception as I Traveled

My Mom and Dad.
Dear Friends and Family,

It was a truly blessed week hiking with my Dad, and then a few days to be with both of my parents in their new home, which I had the joy of blessing. Thank you for all your prayers!

Some of you were concerned about how I would be treated as I traveled the U.S. in a cassock, given the recent horrible scandals that have come to light and the anger many people in the U.S. have expressed. I was received very well.

The first morning of the trip with my Dad set the tone. As we checked our luggage in at the Cleveland airport, the man working the counter asked, "Father, could I ask you to pray for me? My wife and I are hoping to adopt two children today. We have been working on this for some time, and today it will hopefully go through. Sorry to bother you, but I would really appreciate your prayers." Many times in our trip I was met with smiles and warm greetings such as, "Hello, Father," or "well now I know our flight will be safe!"

There was the lady in a Mexican restaurant who, as soon as I walked in said (in Spanish), "Thank you, Father, for blessing our restaurant [by coming to eat here]!" Or the lady sat next to me on the plane and wished to speak about her 5-year-old son who has autism. She has been away from Mass for some time, so we talked...

No doubt there were people who looked askance at a priest walking by but I didn't notice and no one said anything rude. On the contrary, people seemed to go out of their way--such as the two soldiers boarding the plane in New York with me. As I walked down the aisle they made a point of saying loudly, "You feel free to sit anywhere you want Father! We'll even have you sit in first class if you wish." Perhaps folks realize that most priests did not do the terrible things currently being reported about priests and bishops.

It was a real blessing to be able to travel in the cassock. I wanted to reassure anyone who might have been concerned.

I'm quite exhausted now, and looking forward to the first night's rest back at Lanherne. So I will sign off now...

May Jesus and Mary watch over you and guide you.

In Cordibus Iesu et Mariae,
Fr. Pillari

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.